Needless to say, I love the game and have played through it many times. My most recent play through (thanks to the shaky PC port) got me thinking about the expheres in the game.
Expheres are a gem attached to an individuals flesh, usually held in place by a piece of jewelry known as Key Crest that acts as both a mount and a safeguard.
Expheres greatly increase someone's agility, reflexes, and mobility. They allow for low-powered super human feats such as:
- Aerial back flips after being thrown ten feet into the air by an enemy's attack
- Surviving extremely long falls
- Projecting waves of kinetic energy as attacks
- Olympic record breaking leaps and jumps
- Recovering from injury very quickly
|Exbelua has trouble finding nail clippers|
Expheres have downsides, most of which are related to not having an appropriate key crest:
- They change their host's Mana Signature, which can be detected
- Improper removal can cause the host's mana to surge out of control, monstrously transforming the host into an Exbelua
- The host's psyche and personality can be suppressed, eventually leading them to feeling no emotions at all.
- Expheres can absorb an individual's personality and memories, persisting after their body has died- trapping them until the exphere is destroyed.
Exphere User: 85 Points
Catfall, Combat Reflexes, Exphere Talent 1 (+1/lvl to Acrobatics, Climbing, Hiking, Jumping, Running, Swimming), Increased Basic Move 4, Increased Basic Speed 4 (+1 to basic speed), Rapid Healing, Super Jump
A totally average person (10 ST, DX, IQ, and HT) who uses an exphere will enjoy a 2-yard step, a dodge score of 10, and athletic skills covered by the talent at skill level 9-11 with a single point in each skill. Super Jump allows for a standing broad jump of 11 yards, or a standing high jump of 8'. An exphere user takes no damage on falls smaller than 10 yards (5 yards from catfall, another 5 yards given by the maximum high jump from Super Jump), and a successful acrobatics check makes that 15 yards with no damage taken.
Additionally, an exphere user has a 95.4% chance of regaining 1 HP per day of rest instead of the 50.5% for an HT 10 individual.