SOPs are particularly useful for avoiding ambiguities (did you use your silencer when you shot that man in the back of a restaurant), smoothing over boring details (yup, car's fueled up!), and it can help prevent players from having to state a million times over the things that they like to do all the time.
A good SOP:
- Speeds play
- Cuts down on confusion/ambiguity
- Logically and reasonably explains a character's reaction to a certain set of circumstances
- Has a narrow focus if not related to a skill roll
- Possibly gives a skill bonus in a very narrow set of circumstances (+1 to avoid sticking yourself with a syringe while doing lab work, etc)
- Has power that's reasonable for a perk
- Helps protect from mistakes of omission (kicking down an unlocked door, forgetting to silence a gun during a stealth operation, etc)
SOP: Get the Data
There's no question whether you remembered to pocket a bad guy's phone or copied down his financial data.
SOP: Check the Goods
You always check new equipment for defects or issues before it gets used.
SOP: Burner Phone Addict
You always remember to change phones between missions to maintain security.
- SOP: Silencer Use
If you have a silencer, you're assumed to be using it when appropriate
- SOP: OTC Medication
You always have headache/allergy/digestive medication on hand. (Pick one)
- SOP: Captive Care
You never forget to feed or otherwise care for those you've taken prisoner
- SOP: Bug awareness
You take out your phone battery before having sensitive conversations